The Wisdom Buddha Protector of Je Tsongkhapa's Tradition
Praise to Wisdom Buddha Dorje Shugden by the Dalai Lama
For the first half of his life, the Dalai Lama relied upon Dorje Shugden, indeed taking a life commitment to do so. During this time, he wrote the following praise to Dorje Shugden.
A Request-Prayer to Mighty Gyalchen Dorje Shugden,
Protector of the Conqueror Manjusri Tsongkhapa's Teachings
By the Supreme Victor, the Great 14th Dalai Lama
Glory of the wisdom, compassion and power of infinite Buddhas,
Miraculously powerful protector of Manjusri Tsongkhapa's Teachings,
Arisen as a lord of all wrathful worldly hosts,
Come from the abodes of Tushita, Kechara, and so forth!
Prostrating with devotion of body, speech, and mind,
I confess all mistakes and faults in which,
Out of delusion, I have contradicted your holy mind:
Accept with forbearance and show your smiling face!
Arising from the sport of non-dual bliss and emptiness,
Are offerings and torma of flesh and blood heaped like a mountain,
First portions of milk, yogurt, beer and tea swirling like the ocean,
Auspicious signs and substances and various animals,
Peaceful and wrathful ornaments, inner-enemy-destroying weapons and armour,
Amassed samaya substances, outer, inner, and secret, without exception!
Having fulfilled your heart commitment and purified degeneration,
By making these actually arranged and visualized offerings,
Increase Lozang the Victorious One's Teachings,
And the life span and activities of the Teachings' upholders!
Further the happiness of beings in the Gaden [Podrang] dominion!
Especially pacify all harm to us, the yogis and entourages,
That arises because of previous karma and immediate conditions,
And spontaneously accomplish, just as we wish,
All good things, both spiritual and temporal!
Grind to dust without remainder
The hordes of delusions that cause perverse perceptions and actions
Towards the teachings and lay and ordained people
With potent, accurate, powerful great vajra fire!
Especially, cause the saffron-clad community of Dungkar Monastery,
Brightly beautiful in bonds of pure morality,
To soar the path of immortal liberation
On unified wings of Sutra and Tantra!
In brief, we enthrone you, O Deity, as the supreme
Collected nature of all Gurus and Protective Deities!
From densely gathered clouds of the four activities
Pour down a cool rain of the two siddhis!
This, a Request-Prayer to Mighty Gyalchen Dorje Shugden, Protector of the Conqueror Manjusri Tsongkhapa's Teachings entitled Melody of the Unceasing Vajra's composition was urged, not only by the vajra prophecy of the great emanated Dharmapala himself, but also on behalf of the general community by the master of the Dungkar Dratsang and all of its officers, with offerings. Accordingly, the one called Holder Of The White Lotus, Bearer of the Buddhadharma, Ngawang Losang Tenzin Gyatso Sisum Wangyur Tsungpa Mepay De composed it at Dungkar Monastery with spontaneous auspiciousness.
All benefit and bliss! Siddhirastu
During my visit to Hunsur [a settlement in South India] the previous year, poor and helpless people have been told through divination that their illnesses have been brought about by Gyalchen [Dorje Shugden]. I felt this was repugnant. Others have reported dreaming of a bearded monk strangling them. This is a very clear indication that Dorje Shugden is a spirit, far from being a deity."
Dorje Shugden is here declared a harmful, evil spirit on the basis of uneducated people's dreams and local divinations, while thousands of highly educated and realized masters over centuries have seen him as a fully enlightened Buddha protecting the inner practice of meditation and wisdom. The Dalai Lama himself saw him as such for the first 40 years of his life. Dorje Shugden has not changed or become any less of a Buddha; only politics can have changed his mind.
Follow the story of the Dalai Lama's 30-year political campaign to destroy a centuries-old spiritual tradition taught to him by his own Spiritual Guide, and the efforts of those he's hurting to stop him:
- What is happening
- What is the Western Shugden Society (WSS)?
- Detailed reports of discrimination from inside India and elsewhere
The Dalai Lama's position
- A Great Deception
- Praise to Wisdom Buddha Dorje Shugden by the Dalai Lama
- In the Dalai Lama's words
Why is this happening?
- Why is this religious suppression taking place?
- Are the Dalai Lama's reasons valid?
Efforts to restore religious freedom
- Geshe Kelsang's open letter
- The ban is illegal and unconstitutional
- Press reports and videos
- Dorje Shugden Devotee's Charitable and Religious Society
- Dalai Lama sued for repressing religious freedom
- A conflict with a solution
- Announcement from Serpom Norling Monastery
Analysis of situation
- Can the Dalai Lama ever make a mistake?
- Is the Dalai Lama the only spiritual leader in Tibetan Buddhism?
- Theocracy or democracy?
- Spirit worship or authentic Buddhist practice?
- Freedom of worship
- The Dalai Lama's justifications
- Analysis by Dalai Lama's translator (PDF)
- What would Thomas Jefferson think of the 14th Dalai Lama?
- Book Reviews
Evidence and first-hand accounts
- Chronological background
- Discord in exile documentary
- Political motivations for the ban
- Summary to date from Tibetan exiles
Ongoing persecution 2008-2010
- Recent vote sticks and call for help
- Forced signature and ID card campaign
- Persecution of monks at Sera Monasteries
- Public humiliation and explusion of monks
- Letter to Indian Prime Minister regarding abuses
- Letters from Dorje Shugden Devotees
- Urgent appeal from Sera Monasteries
- Support from Indian police
- Western Shugden Society letter to Sera monasteries
- Western Shugden Society letter to TGIE
- Heartfelt request from monks in Mundgod
- More discrimination planned around the world
- Letter from an FPMT monk
- What you can do