The Wisdom Buddha Protector of Je Tsongkhapa's Tradition
Western Shugden Society letter to Sera Monasteries in 2008
April 9, 2008
To Sera Lachi, Sera Jey, and Sera Mey,
We, the Western Shugden Society, are writing this letter to you concerning the six monks from Pomra Khangtsen that you have expelled on April 8th, 2008 based on wrong and false reasons.
To fulfil the Dalai Lama┤s wishes, which is to remove all the Dorje Shugden practitioners from the Tibetan community, you Sera Lachi, Sera Jey and Sera Mey, using Geshe Thupten Tendar and Geshe Tsultrim Gyaltsen (the monastery disciplinarians) have expelled the following monks from Sera monastery:
This is completely unacceptable; we will never accept your behaviour.
In your public written announcement dated 8th April 2008 you accuse these six monks of causing many problems. Everybody knows that the actions you accuse them of is nonsense and completely untrue - you are lying and there is clear and valid evidence to prove you are lying. These monks do not have power or the intention to perform the actions you accuse them of. The true creator of all these problems is the Dalai Lama and you are simply fulfilling his wishes.
You will remember that in 1996-1997 when a similar situation arose through religious discrimination created by the Dalai Lama to ban the practice of Dorje Shugden, the Western Shugden Society organised demonstrations directly against the Dalai Lama throughout the world, including the USA and United Kingdom. However, after the repeated request of the London Tibetan Office asking us to stop these demonstrations because people wanted to invite the Dalai Lama to England, we finally accepted and stopped. Since that time until now we have remained completely peaceful while on the contrary you have continually unjustly harmed Shugden people without compassion.
Our conclusion is we now offer you two choices:
1. To reverse the expulsion of the six monks and allow them to return to Sera Monastery where they should receive the same spiritual and material rights as the other monks who do not follow Shugden.
2. If you do not accept the first point, we will immediately organise worldwide public demonstrations directly against the Dalai lama whenever he visits any country.
If you have some wisdom you should understand how important the Dalai Lama┤s reputation is - this is now in your hands.
We need your answer by the 22nd April 2008, signed and delivered by registered post to:
Dorje Shugden Devotees Society,
House No 105, Old Tibetan Camp, Majnu Ka Tilla, Delhi-54
Phone: (91) 11-23921169, Mobile: (91) 9990426278
If we do not receive your answer by 22nd April 2008, we will regard that you have not accepted the first point, and we will immediately prepare demonstrations.
The Western Shugden Society
CC: Dalai Lama, Tibetan Goverment in Exile, Pomra Khangtsen, President of the USA George Bush, Prime Minister of the UK Gordon Brown, BBC, CNN, Sky News, ITV.
1. Hon. Shri Shivraj Patil, Home Minister of India;
Fax: 0091 - 11 -23094221
2. Hon. Shri Pranab Mukherjee, Foreign Mister of India;
Fax: 0091-11-23011463, 23013254
3. Hon. Shri Shivshankar Menon, Foreign Secretary;
Fax: 0091-11- 23016781
4. Hon. Shri. Madhukar Gupta, Home Secretary
Tel: 0091-11-23092989, 23093003, Fax: 0091- 11 -23093003
5. National Human Rights Commission,
Tel: 0091-11-23384012 Fax: 011-23384863, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
6. H.E Shri Rameshwar Thakur, Hon.Governer of Karnataka State
Tel: 91-80-22254102, 22253555, Fax: 91-80-22258 150 E-mail: email@example.com
7. Shri P. Manivanan, Deputy Commissioner Mysore
Fax: 0091-821-2429012 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Western Shugden Society is only the community or confederation of Wisdom Buddha Dorje Shugden practitioners -- it has no leader nor registered office. We, the individual members of this Society, are organizing the demonstrations against the Dalai Lama as representatives of our Shugden society. The contact details that appear on the letter head are only for demonstration purposes.
Follow the story of the Dalai Lama's 30-year political campaign to destroy a centuries-old spiritual tradition taught to him by his own Spiritual Guide, and the efforts of those he's hurting to stop him:
- What is happening
- What is the Western Shugden Society (WSS)?
- Detailed reports of discrimination from inside India and elsewhere
The Dalai Lama's position
- A Great Deception
- Praise to Wisdom Buddha Dorje Shugden by the Dalai Lama
- In the Dalai Lama's words
Why is this happening?
- Why is this religious suppression taking place?
- Are the Dalai Lama's reasons valid?
Efforts to restore religious freedom
- Geshe Kelsang's open letter
- The ban is illegal and unconstitutional
- Press reports and videos
- Dorje Shugden Devotee's Charitable and Religious Society
- Dalai Lama sued for repressing religious freedom
- A conflict with a solution
- Announcement from Serpom Norling Monastery
Analysis of situation
- Can the Dalai Lama ever make a mistake?
- Is the Dalai Lama the only spiritual leader in Tibetan Buddhism?
- Theocracy or democracy?
- Spirit worship or authentic Buddhist practice?
- Freedom of worship
- The Dalai Lama's justifications
- Analysis by Dalai Lama's translator (PDF)
- What would Thomas Jefferson think of the 14th Dalai Lama?
- Book Reviews
Evidence and first-hand accounts
- Chronological background
- Discord in exile documentary
- Political motivations for the ban
- Summary to date from Tibetan exiles
Ongoing persecution 2008-2010
- Recent vote sticks and call for help
- Forced signature and ID card campaign
- Persecution of monks at Sera Monasteries
- Public humiliation and explusion of monks
- Letter to Indian Prime Minister regarding abuses
- Letters from Dorje Shugden Devotees
- Urgent appeal from Sera Monasteries
- Support from Indian police
- Western Shugden Society letter to Sera monasteries
- Western Shugden Society letter to TGIE
- Heartfelt request from monks in Mundgod
- More discrimination planned around the world
- Letter from an FPMT monk
- What you can do